Ever since I moved to Japan six years ago I’ve had an interest in danchi, which are the housing complexes built by Japanese government agencies in the late 1950’s. In this video I tour some of the original restored units as well as their modern counterparts.
A special thanks to UR for giving me access to all that they did. I was actually surprised at how helpful they were, especially since this was not a sponsored video.
If you’re looking to see rental housing available from UR, their website is https://www.ur-net.go.jp/chintai/. If you don’t know Japanese, you can actually use realtors to help you find spots (UR pays their fee, so there’s no extra cost). An example of a realtor is http://www.tokyobestapartment.com/ who specializes in helping foreigners find apartments in Tokyo.
You too can visit the Urban Renaissance Agency Technology Research Institute in Hachioji https://www.ur-net.go.jp/rd/index.html for free, however you have to make a reservation by phone or email, so it’s not a place you can just easily drop by.
A few related videos I made that you might be interested in are:
- Why Foreigners Have Difficulty Renting in Japan https://youtu.be/iZ5f_QokinY
- How an Average Family in Tokyo can Buy a New Home https://youtu.be/iGbC5j4pG9w
- Brand New Japanese House Tour https://youtu.be/Jv6SbFlZMbU
- Are Japanese Homes Really Worthless After 30 Years? https://youtu.be/1SiPGP_BDS4
- Japanese Public Housing Stats https://www.mlit.go.jp/common/001139782.pdf and http://www.zenken.com/kensyuu/kousyuukai/H30/643/643_harada.pdf
- Japan’s Public Housing System Has a Shelf Life https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2015/04/04/how-tos/japans-public-housing-system-shelf-life/#.XXmwfigzb8A
- UR Public Profile https://www.ur-net.go.jp/profile/english/pdf/profile_en_all.pdf
- History of UR https://www.ur-net.go.jp/overseas/about/history.html
- Social Housing Policy in Japan http://www.internationalhousingassociation.org/fileUpload_details.aspx?contentTypeID=3&contentID=254956&subContentID=706249&channelID=38488
- Danchi housing lets you think outside the usual box https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2012/11/06/how-tos/danchi-housing-lets-you-think-outside-the-usual-box/#.XXnVKSgzb8A
- Affordable Housing Challenges in Japan and Lessons Learnt from Europe http://www.housingeurope.eu/blog-1088/affordable-housing-challenges-in-japan-and-lessons-learnt-from-europe